10/17/12

Dabbling in Medicinal Plants

I have had the grossest bug bite on my ankle and a few others similar but none quite so large. I finally went down the street to our neighbors house to see Wendy who is studying medicinal plants. We are pretty secluded here on our beach and going to a doctor was not going to be happening any time soon. I decided I should come up some solution and Google was not helping. (I did contemplate texting the Dockweilers a couple times to see if they had a solution).
Wendy had a fix for my bug bites! Medera negra have shown to have an antihistamine in it and mixed with green tea has an anti inflammatory effect. Luckily medera negra grows along the whole street, very easy to get, and it smells like green beans when mushed. Green tea was in my care package of goodies from Mom and Dad, so I can use my used tea bags for my bug bites as well! Between mixing these two together and making a hot compress my disgusting bug bites have shown great improvement!

Lesson learned from my bug bites, I think I know how to make it to the finale on Survivor, I just can't tell anyone about my natural bug bite repellent or anti itch remedies. This has also taught me that I want to look more at the different plants around our beach and see what else they can be used for. The chef up at Drew's hotel, Pablo, said he would take Courtney and me on a nature walk of the beach to teach us what we can use to cook with.

2 comments:

  1. I think your bug bite pictures might be grosser than the exhumation pix. Hope your remedy is working...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, those bug bites are mighty gross! I don't think you can get care packages on survivor ;-)

    Dede

    ReplyDelete