9/10/13

I'm a Hermit!

 

Largest hermit crab I've seen on the beach yet.

Okay, so maybe I'm not actually a hermit. But I have learned that I am completely okay being separated from the technologically addicted English speaking world. Yes, I have my iPhone in which I can technically communicate when I need to and it is nice having others around to talk to, especially my family, but I am okay just sitting in my house and reading a book or walking down the street and talking to random people (talking is used loosely- might be more talking to the best of my abilities).

Hermit crabs like coconut, but they ran away when I tried to take a picture

The station house feels like home this year. I get asked by our volunteers and research assistants if I get homesick espcially because I am out here usually a lot longer than they are. The answer is I get homesick and I miss a lot of the conveniences of so many things in the States, however, I like to be removed from those luxuries I feel like I have time her to reflect on myself and work hard at my job. (If that did not just sound really yoga-ish I do not know what else I am going to write in this blog that will).

I have been here less than one month. Last year I had been here two weeks and I was questioning if I made the right choice in coming to such a "remote" location, last year we had wifi all the time. It took time for me adjust to this lifestyle of waking up and working at odd hours of the night while trying to do some regular tasks during the day as well. I feel like I learned a lot last year as to how the day should flow and so I am applying previous knowledge that helped make the transition smoother this year.

Not a big fan of large stagnant bodies of water

In this past month I would not say that I have exactly felt homesickness. I think that I miss being around my friends and family and would to pick them all up and move them down here. I love to aimlessly walk the beach, go for random body surf sessions, or sit in a chair and read a book. I know what you are thinking, yes, I have a job and I love my job I love working with such an amazing sea creature and I am honestly blessed to be able to do such a thing. I love to get up in the middle of the night and patrol the beach hoping that I will get to see one, mostly because I get to tag now that we have more tags in! I have a goal to fill the hatchery which helps me pass my time. I think that homesickness here doesn't stem from the lack of communication with loved ones at home, because I had that last year and still felt homesick, but that sometimes it is hard to stop feeling like we constantly need to be going all the time and relax and let things just be.

This year had very much felt like the second year of college. Last year, I was unsure of what I would experience no matter how much research I did. This year, I came knowing exactly what to expect and I felt like I fell back into the rhythm of my Costa Rican lifestyle very easily. Even though I didn't experience a real rainy season, and I would say I still really haven't this year, my sophomore year in Costa Rica is going amazingly and I am so happy I came back.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment