9/22/13

Eggs in the Sink

Our turtles have been up to some weird things this season. We are finding up tracks with no down tracks and down tracks with no up tracks, only guess is that people are moving turtles! Who does that?! One of our morning poachers has begun participating in morning census' with us, and when we find a nest that has not been poached he will find the eggs and we get to put them in the hatchery. The other night all of our turtles came up in the same sector, I wish it was all at the same time that would have been fun, exciting, and overwhelming!

Lauren making the nest and counting eggs

Well, we are just going to keep adding to the weird things that our turtles are doing. Yesterday morning Steph went out to do some laundry and I hear her shouting at me why I put eggs in the sink...

My thought process: Hmm weird I didn't make eggs for breakfast and I am pretty sure Lauren didn't leave her egg shells in the sink I don't know what you are talking about.

So I got up and walked over to the sink where we wash clothes. THERE WERE TURTLE EGGS IN THE SINK!! Some one left us a gift, we were really confused on where they came from. Right away I called Maddie just because I wanted to make sure that they were going to be safe to put in the hatchery. Figured it was a pretty rainy morning that it should be fairly safe to put the eggs in and they are hopefully fine. Well 78 eggs later we added the fourth nest for the night into the hatchery and I enjoyed writing Sector: Sink on the tag. We label all the nests in the hatchery with the date they were found, number of eggs, and from which sector so we can release babies as close to where their nest was.

Here is an example of the tags that we tie to the hatchery grid so we know where the nests are.

We did find the mystery man that left us the eggs. Steph saw our friendly morning poacher this morning on her census walk and asked him about the eggs. He had found them and brought them by the house, no one was there because people that were here were asleep and Lauren and I were on the beach. So he had left them for us in the sink. WHOA bad guy turned good?! I'm not complaining though, I will take poachers delivering us eggs any time!

I have not posted any number so far this year on nesting events, nests relocated to the hatchery, or the amount of eggs collected. I figured since this post is dedicated to all the weirdness we have been expereincing with odd nesting behaviors that now would be a good time to introduce some of our numbers, which I am really excited about since the hatchery was just finished about a month ago.

TURTLE TRACKER 2013

NESTING EVENTS: 90

NESTS IN THE HATCHERY: 24

EGGS IN THE HATCHERY: 2,314

BABIES TO COME SOON!!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment