8/31/13

Nests in the hatchery

We have finally started to fill the hatchery. Though we are still a ways away from filling all the way. I'm happy that we have been getting turtles though, so I'll take it! One of our nests got a temperature tracker for some data that we are collecting. We will put two others (for a total of 3) in the hatchery as well as place three along the beach in popular nesting sectors. Hopefully, the temperature trackers will give us a good idea that our hatchery is correctly replicating the temperatures on the beach, and the genders of our nests.

Mylain, Luisa, Rebeca, Katharina, and Steph enjoying our last night all together

Last night, Steph and I patrolled with our two Ticas (Rebeca and Mylaine). We walked the whole beach and when we got home we found a turtle practically walking into the hatchery to lay her eggs. This happened a lot last year too, I think they just know where their eggs should go. We waited off to the side under some palm trees since it started to rain until she began to dig her nest. I was pretty excited (though in my sleepy state it might have been difficult to tell) this was Steph's first time seeing the "whole" nesting process. While Rebeca and Mylaine were counting eggs I was able to show Steph how we take measurements and what we are looking for. It was a good thing we had volunteers with us! Now if only we could get more tags so I could have tagged her too!!!

Cacti flowers!!

At one-thirty AM Steph and I were up again to walk with Mylain and Rebeca out to the main road and wait for the bus. I have never walked with volunteers before but I liked them so much I decided to go with them. While we were waiting and being eaten alive it started to rain. The bus finally pulled up and it looked like the rain might be letting up a little as well. WRONG!!! The bus pulled up we said our good byes and it started to POUR! Steph and I were very cold and very wet when we got back to the house.

Tonight our German's are leaving, they have been with us for two weeks so the house will be oddly quiet when they leave (maybe more so for Steph since she has only lived here with a full house). We are heading up to Laguna Mar, I offered to buy them a drink since they have been the best German volunteers I have every experienced. (I feel confident saying that online because I'm pretty positive that none of the other German volunteers from last year aren't reading since we never even exchanged contact information.)

Went in search of some plumerias and was successful!

I've also taken to walking on the road this week. I have been wanting to see what some of the houses look like from the street, since I usually only see them from the beach. I found all sorts of cool gems, I find it odd that we have so many vacation homes but they never seem to have anyone in them, what is the point? Maybe I'll buy some land and build a house so that I can live here ALL the time. Mom, dad, you are more than welcome to visit.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment